Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pretty Pumpkins!

We are already into the second week of September, and I can’t wait for the weather to transition.  This is my favorite time of year and I’m getting inspired by all my neighbors who are already setting out their pumpkin décor!  It won’t be long until we are in boots, sipping pumpkin spiced lattes and breathing in the comforting smell of a barn fire… did you just breathe in a long deep breathe and exhale ahhhhhhhhhh at the thought? ;)


 My fall Favorites… 
I’ve had the same pumpkin decorations for a few years now, and I decided it was time to spruce them up a bit.  I already knew I wanted to do away with the traditional orange pumpkins, and stick with a glittery gold and creamy white for my generic fall décor.  This way I can place them in the dining area later this year for Thanksgiving dinner and it will have a more formal look.  I have some Mother of Pearl from the Martha Stewart Crafts acrylic paint line on hand, some left over metallic gold spray paint, and of course some gold glitter ;) I can't wait to transform my faded, orange pumpkins into glitterly glam pumpkins! 





Check out these photos that served as my inspiration:









Mixing patterns always gives a wow factor!  These would look great on a fireplace mantle. TIP: To get a perfect circle before modge podging glitter onto the pumpkin, take the bottom of a glace and trace the outline in pencil.  Next, apply the modge podge with a thin paint brush and sprinkle the glitter immediately afterwards.  It's always best to spray a sealant after the glittler completely dries.



  
This styrofoam base pumpkin has been converted into a candle holder, perfect for an intimate dining room centerpiece! TIP: Use an Xacto knife to get a smooth edge, then place in a glass candle votive to prevent the wax from entering the actual pumpkin cavity.  Be careful not to make the cavity too deep or wide, as most styrofoam pumpkins are hollow.  Instead, make an angle while cutting the cavity to allow the glass votive to “wedge into place”. 

 
 
I can’t wait to try a cream and gold ombre affect.  This mint green one is too cute!



If you love fresh flowers as much as I do, I’m sure you’ll appreciate this next beauty.  I can’t wait to purchase some mums and place these into white pumpkins on my front porch. TIP:  If you plan to do this with a potted pot, make sure you measure your pumpkin before purchasing your flowers!  Most seasonal plants will sell in pint, quart, and 1 gallon pot sizes.  The pint size will have a 4” circumference, the quart with have a 6” circumference, and a gallon will be at 8”. 
 



My outdoor lighted, jack o lantern pumpkins are extremely faded from the sun and I’m considering painting them as well.  But since it’s still September, I need to behave an hold those guys in the attic a few more weeks...  Well, at least until it’s not 100 degrees outside, right?
 
This month I'll be sharing TONS of Autumn inspired recipes, DIY projects and interior design layouts.  If you have a special request, please be sure to email me at: karamjsanchez@gmail.com.  I would LOVE to hear from you!
 
By the way... have you indulged in a Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks yet??  They are back, so go treat yourself.  You deserve it ;) 
 
kara.michelle
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers” ~ Anne of Green Gables

No comments:

Post a Comment