Friday, September 20, 2013

Good morning Friday! OOTD and a DIY Kate Spade Place Setting Tutorial

Good morning Friday!!!!!

Hello loves, it’s been quite a week and I couldn’t be happier today is Friday. I’m a tad bummed out today as we were anticipating a slight cool front to arrive this weekend but the weather patterns altered and now it’s no longer coming to visit. By the way, a cool front late September in Nola means instead of 95 degrees, it will be around 85 degrees. Hey, every degree counts right?!

I probably look a little silly to some in my scarf and skinny jeans with this heat, but let's be honest - me, care about what others think?  Yea, not so much ;)

For my outfit today, I paired red skinnys with a flowy-oversized black off the shoulder tee and added my favorite leopard print scarf. Since I'll be running around all day, my tan and black studded flats were the perfect shoe. I think it's the perfect casual Friday outfit to transition into fall.   
 
 
This weekend I'm attempting my very first pallet-wood sign and I'm super excited about it. I feel like the possibilities with pallet wood creations are endless, but the most challenging part is dismantling the wood without the pieces snapping in half... Well good news - I conquered this task last night with great success and will share my helpful hints later this weekend with the reveal of my first sign!  Stay tuned ;)
 
Another recent project I'm super pumped about is my Kate Spade inspired, polka dot place setting. I came across this adorable place setting a few weeks ago while looking for inspiration for my new dining room table setup. I was growing tired of seeing an empty wood table and wanted to add some glam for the upcoming holidays. How cute is this design? Gotta love some KS.

 
Unfortuatnely, it also had a cute price tag, and I just wasn't willing to splurge on them, especially because I like to re-do the table setting so frequently. But then I thought... with a gold Sharpie and those tiny 3-hole punched paper sticker preservers, I could surely recreate this design myself. 
 
I headed to my local Dollar Tree and picked up a set of 8 white ceramic plates. I also found the paper hole sticker presevers as well. It's crazy what you can find anymore at the Dollar Tree, I love it! I purchased a fine tip Gold Sharpie from my local craft store for $2.
 
I really wanted each plate to be slightly unique.... have the same style and compliment one another, but not look like a mass produced set. So I sporadically placed the stickers on each plate and began coloring in the interior circles using my Sharpie.  I allowed them to dry overnight, and the next morning I carefully pealed back the stickers. 
 
Today I plan on baking them in my oven for about 30 minutes. This is to ensure the gold color preserves and won't fade during washes.  I can't wait to share the end result with you!
 
Hope you enjoyed and that I brought you some inspiration!  Have a wonderful and creative weekend everyone!
 
kara.michelle
"Be so good, they can't ignore you." ~ Steve Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment